Document Type: Case Report
Department of Orthopaedics, Government Medical College, Haldwani, Uttarakhand, India
Simultaneous combination of fracture of the lateral condyle and postero-medial elbow dislocation is a rare event and limited to few reports or case series in the literature. Rarity of the injury also necessitates judicious diagnosis and appropriate management to ensure optimal functional outcome. Various authors have reported about the condition including the management which mostly includes surgical intervention. A report of one such injury pattern in an 8 years old male child with operative management and satisfactory outcome is presented to highlight the presence of this rare combination and adherence to standard treatment protocols to address them. The report is an addition to the limited resources available on similar fractures and highlights the importance of ruling out possible associated injuries in cases of elbow dislocations. A good fixation of lateral condyle fracture is instrumental to avoid late complications leading to poor functional outcome. The early and supervised rehabilitation also plays a role in ensuring successful return to activities of daily living.
- Wilkins KE. Fractures and dislocations of the elbow region. In: Rockwood CA Jr, Wilkins KE, King RE, eds. Fractures in Children. 7th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven; 1996. p. 680.
- Rasool MN. Dislocations of the elbow in children. J Bone Joint Surg 2004; 86(7): 1050-58. doi: 10.1302/0301-620x.86b7.14505.
- Kirkos JM, Beslikas TA, Papavasiliou VA. Posteromedial dislocation of elbow with lateral condyle fracture in children. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2003; (408): 232-6.
- Hardacre JA, Nahigian SH, Froimson AI, Brown JE. Fractures of the lateral condyle of the humerus in children. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1971; 53(6): 1083-95.
- Pouliart N, DeBoeck H. Posteromedial dislocation of elbow with associated intraarticular entrapment of lateral epicondyle. J Orthop Trauma 2002; 16(1):53-56.
- Milch H. Fractures and fracture dislocations of the humeral condyles. J Trauma 1964; 4(5): 592-607. doi: 10.1097/00005373-196409000-00004.
- Rutherford A. Fractures of the lateral humeral condyle in children. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1985; 67(6): 851-6.
- Wilkins KE. Fractures and dislocations of the elbow region. In: Rockwood CA, Wilkins KE, King RE, eds. Fractures in Children. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott; 1991. p. 618-54.
- Sharma H, Ayer R, Taylor GR. Complex pediatric elbow injury: an uncommon case. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 2005; 6: 13. doi: 10.1186/1471-2474-6-13.
- Cheng PG, Chang WN, Wang MN. Posteromedial dislocation of the elbow with lateral condyle fracture in children. J Chin Med Assoc 2009; 72(2): 103-7. doi: 10.1016/S1726-4901(09)70033-4.
- Rovinsky D, Ferguson C, Younis A, Otsuka NY. Pediatric elbow dislocation associated with a milch type I lateral condyle fracture of the humerus. J Orthop Trauma 1999; 13(6): 458-60. doi: 10.1097/00005131-199908000-00012.
- Murnaghan JM, Thompson NS, Taylor TC, Cosgrove AP, Ballard J. Fracture lateral epicondyle with associated elbow dislocation. Int J Clin Pract 2002; 56(6): 475-7.
- Cheng PG, Chen CC, Wu SK, Wang MN. Posteromedial dislocation of the elbow with lateral condyle fracture: The fractured lateral condyle adheres to the radial head. Formosan Journal of Musculoskeletal Disorders 2012; 3(2): 66-9. doi: 10.1016/j.fjmd.2012.03.006.
- Naik M, Madi SS, Vijayan S, Rao S. A rare pediatric trauma – Lateral condyle humerus fracture with concomitant postero-medial elbow dislocation. Hand Microsurg 2015; 4(3): 75-8. doi: 10.5455/handmicrosurg.185151.
- Agrawal PS, Chaudhary SD, Mitra SR. Posteromedial dislocation of the elbow with associated fracture of the lateral humeral condyle in children. MedPulse- International Medical Journal 2015; 2(7): 388-90.