Document Type : Case Report
1 Department of Orthopedic, Sabzevar University of Medical Sciences, Sabzevar, Iran
2 Department of Forensic Medicine, Sabzevar University of Medical Sciences, Sabzevar, Iran
3 Department of Emergency Medicine, Sabzevar University of Medical Sciences, Sabzevar, Iran
Compartment syndrome is a rare vascular disorder and an orthopedic emergency caused by high intramuscular pressure following bone fractures and some other etiologies. It mostly involves extremities, but can affect other parts of the body. The syndrome is diagnosed based on extensively varying signs and symptoms including feeling pain, pallor, pulselessness, and some other signs among patients. It causes irreversible complications that may even lead to death in some cases. If not treated promptly, muscle and nerve necrosis, myoglobinuria, and ultimately extremity gangrene and renal failure may occur. Timely diagnosis requires close attention to patient’s signs and symptoms and repeated measurements of pressure in the compartment. The reported case was an 11-year-old girl suffering from a closed double fracture in her forearm following blunt trauma. Inappropriate treatment done by a local therapist resulted in compartment syndrome. The aim of this study was to obtain an accurate knowledge on it and to do timely action when facing with this syndrome.
2015; 16(1): 158-60. doi: 10.5811/westjem.2014.9.23019.
2. Barajas BD, Sun A, Rimoin DL, Reinstein E. Recurrent compartment syndrome in a patient with clinical features of a connective tissue disorder. Am J Med Genet A 2013; 161A(6): 1442-6. doi: 10.1002/ajmg.a.35894.
3. Newman PA, Deo S. Non-traumatic compartment syndrome secondary to deep vein thrombosis and anticoagulation. BMJ Case Rep 2014; 2014. doi: 10.1136/bcr-2013-201689.
4. Gousheh J. The treatment of war injuries of the brachial plexus. J Hand Surg Am 1995; 20(3 Pt 2): S68-76.
5. Tiwari A, Haq AI, Myint F, Hamilton G. Acute compartment syndromes. Br J Surg 2002; 89(4): 397-412. doi: 10.1046/j.0007-1323.2002.02063.x.
6. Beigi A, Taheri H, Sehhat S. Acute Compartment Syndrome. Iranian Journal of Surgery 2006; 14(2):1-7. [In Persian].
7. Perron AD, Brady WJ, Keats TE. Orthopedic pitfalls in the ED: acute compartment syndrome. Am J Emerg Med 2001;19(5): 413-6. doi: 10.1053/ajem.2001.24464.
8. Ciemniewska-Gorzela K, Piontek T, Szulc A. Abdominal compartment syndrome--the prevention and treatment of
possible lethal complications following hip arthroscopy: a case report. J Med Case Rep 2014; 8: 368. doi:10.1186/1752-1947-8-368.
9. McQueen MM, Gaston P, Court-Brown CM. Acute compartment syndrome. Who is at risk? J Bone Joint Surg Br 2000; 82(2): 200-3.
10. Ulmer T. The clinical diagnosis of compartment syndrome of the lower leg: are clinical findings predictive of the
disorder? J Orthop Trauma 2002; 16(8): 572-7.