1. Kelly CB, Weir J, Rafferty T, Galloway R. Deliberate self-poisoning presenting at a rural hospital in Northern Ireland 1976–1996: relationship to prescribing. Eur Psychiatry 2000; 15 (6): 348–53.
2. Camidge DR, Wood RJ, Bateman DN. The epidemiology of self-poisoning in the UK. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2003; 56 (6): 613–9.
3. Claassen CA, Trivedi MH, Shimizu I, Stewart S, Larkin GL, Litovitz T, et al. Epidemiology of nonfatal deliberate self-harm in the United States as described in three medical databases. Suicide Life Threat Behav 2006; 36 (2): 192–212.
4. Hawton K, Fagg J, Simkin S. Deliberate self-poisoning and self-injury in children and adolescents under 16 years of age in Oxford, 1976–1993. Br J Psychiatry 1996; 169 (2): 202–8.
5. Ong S, Leng YK. Suicidal behaviour in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. In: Peng KL, Tseng W, editors. Suicidal behaviour in the Asia-Pacific region. Singapore: Singapore University Press; 1992. p. 144–75.
6. Aghanwa HS. Attempted suicide by drug overdose and by poisoningestion methods seen at the main general hospital in Fiji islands: a comparative study. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 2001; 23 (5): 266–71.
7. Lifshitz M, Gavrilov V. Deliberate self-poisoning in adolescents. Isr Med Assoc J 2002; 4 (4): 252–4.
8. Hawton K, Fagg J, Simkin S, Bale E, Bond A. Deliberate self-harm in adolescents in Oxford, 1985–1995. J Adolesc 2000; 23 (1): 47–55.
9. Fathelrahman AI, Ab Rahman AF, Mohd Zain Z. Demographic features of drug and chemical poisoning in Northern Malaysia. Clin Toxicol 2005; 43 (2): 89–94.
10. Fathelrahman AI, Ab Rahman AF, Mohd Zain Z. Self-poisoning by drugs and chemicals: variations in demographics, associated factors and final outcomes. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 2008; 30 (5): 467-70.
11. Bertolote JM, Fleischmann A. Suicide and a psychiatric diagnosis: a world-wide perspective. World Psychiatry 2002;1:181–5.
12. Washington DC, US Public Health Service. The Surgeon General’s call to action to prevent suicide[internet].1999.Availablefrom:http://psycnet.apa.org/?fa=main.doiLanding&doi=10.1037/e369812004-001
13. National Strategy for Suicide Prevention: Goals and Objectives for Action. London: Department of Health; 2002.
14. Owens D, Horrocks J, House A. Fatal and non-fatal repetition of self-harm. Systematic review. Br J Psychiatry 2002; 181: 193–9.
15. Hawton K, Fagg J. Suicide and other causes of death following attempted suicide. Br J Psychiatry 1988; 152: 266–359.
16. Nordentoft M, Breum L, Munck LK, Nordestgaard AG, Hunding A, Bjaedager P. High mortality by natural and unnatural causes: a 10 year follow up study of patients admitted to a poisoning treatment centre after suicide attempts. BMJ 1993; 306 (6893): 1637–41.
17. Kessler RC, Borges G, Walters E. Prevalence of and
risk factors for lifetime suicide attempts in the national co morbidity survey. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1999; 56 (7): 617–26.
18. Schmidtke A, Bille-Brahe U, DeLeo D, Kerkhof A, Bjerke T, Crepet P, et al. Attempted suicide in Europe: rates, trends and sociodemographic characteristics of suicide attempters during the period 1989-1992. Results of the WHO/EURO multicentre study on parasuicide. Acta Psychiatr Scand 1996; 93 (5): 327–38.
19. Kapur N, Cooper J, Hiroeh U, May C, Appleby L, House A. Emergency department management and outcome for self-poisoning: a cohort study. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 2004; 26 (1): 36-41.
20. World Health Organization. Suicide Prevention. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2006. Available from: http://www.who.int/mental_health/prevention/suicide/suicideprevent/en/
21. Hawton K, Zahl D, Weatherall R. Suicide following deliberate self-harm: long-term follow-up of patients who presented to a general hospital. Br J Psychiatry 2003; 182: 537–42.
22. Judd F, Cooper AM, Fraser C, Davis J. Rural suicide-people or place effects? Aust N Z J Psychiatry 2006; 40 (3): 208–16.
23. Hirsch JK. A review of the literature on rural suicide: risk and protective factors, incidence, and prevention. Crisis 2006; 27 (4): 189-99.
24. Novack V, Jotkowitz A, Delgado J, Novack L, Elbaz G, Shleyfer E, et al. General characteristics of hospitalized patients after deliberate self-poisoning and risk factors for intensive care admission. Eur J Intern Med 2006; 17 (7): 485-9.
25. Hawton K. Psychiatric Assessment and Management of Deliberate Self-poisoning Patients. Medicine 2003; 31 (9): 16-19.
26. Hawton K. Psychiatric assessment and management of deliberate self-poisoning patients. Medicine 2012; 40 (2): 71-3.
27. Ala A, Vahdati SS, Moosavi L, Sadeghi H. Studying the Relationship Between Age, Gender and Other Demographic Factors with the Type of Agent Used for Self-Poisoning at a Poisoning Referral Center in North West Iran. Acad Emerg Med 2011; 10 (3): 100-2.