Document Type : Case Report
Cardiovascular Research Center, Institute of Basic and Clinical Physiology Sciences, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Objective: COVID-19 has now become a worldwide health problem with many new cases diagnosed every day. people with underlying heart diseases are more likely to get infected and have poor prognosis. Of them, adult patients with congenital heart disease need special attention due to their different symptoms and course of the disease.
Case Presentation: Here, we report the unusual presentation and course of COVID-19 disease with rapid progression of right ventricle failure and pulmonary hypertension in patient who was infected with new SARS-CoV-2 virus. She is a 39-year-old woman, known case of ventricular septal defect and pulmonary hypertension with a history of open-heart surgery at the age of seven that arrived to our clinic due to exacerbation of dyspnea; progressive lower extremity edema and mild ascites from 10-days ago.
Conclusion: Any changes in the condition of adult patients with congenital heart disease in this epidemic should be considered as a potential infection by this virus and the necessary and accurate evaluation should be done
2020; 106(17): 1302-9. doi: 10.1136/heartjnl-2020-317258.
2. Sabatino J, Ferrero P, Chessa M, Bianco F, Ciliberti P, Secinaro A, et al. COVID-19 and congenital heart disease:
results from a nationwide survey. J Clin Med 2020; 9(6):1774. doi: 10.3390/jcm9061774.
3. Gallego P, Ruperti-Repilado FJ, Schwerzmann M. Adultswith congenital heart disease during the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic: are they at risk? Rev Esp Cardiol (Engl Ed) 2020; 73(10): 795-8. doi: 10.1016/j.
4. Guan WJ, Ni ZY, Hu Y, Liang WH, Ou CQ, He JX, et al. Clinical characteristics of coronavirus disease 2019 in
China. N Engl J Med 2020; 382(18): 1708-20. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa2002032.
5. Li B, Yang J, Zhao F, Zhi L, Wang X, Liu L, et al. Prevalence and impact of cardiovascular metabolic diseases on
COVID-19 in China. Clin Res Cardiol 2020; 109(5): 531-8. doi: 10.1007/s00392-020-01626-9.
6. Khajali Z, Arabian M, Aliramezany M. Best management in isolated right ventricular hypoplasia with septal defects
in adults. J Cardiovasc Thorac Res 2020; 12(3): 237-43. doi:10.34172/jcvtr.2020.36.
7. Dawson KL, Vincent LL, Krieger EV, Stout KK, Buber J. Acute increase in deaths among patients with adult congenital heart disease during COVID-19: single-center experience. JACC Case Rep 2020; 2(9): 1275-8. doi:10.1016/j.jaccas.2020.06.013.
8. Araujo JJ. Impact of the SARS-Cov-2 virus pandemic on children and adults with con-genital heart disease: its
burden and risk factors. Int J Clin Cardiol 2020; 7(4): 190. doi: 10.23937/2378-2951/1410190
9. Siddiqi HK, Mehra MR. COVID-19 illness in native and immunosuppressed states: a clinical-therapeutic staging
proposal. J Heart Lung Transplant 2020; 39(5): 405-7. doi: 10.1016/j.healun.2020.03.012.
10. Moazenzadeh M, Jafari F, Farrokhnia M, Aliramezany M. First reported case of unrepaired tetralogy of Fallot
complicated with coronavirus disease-19 (COVID-19).Cardiol Young 2020; 30(9): 1339-42. doi: 10.1017/s1047951120001821.
11. Simpson M, Collins C, Nash DB, Panesar LE, Oster ME. Coronavirus disease 2019 infection in children with preexisting heart disease. J Pediatr 2020; 227: 302-7.e2. doi:10.1016/j.jpeds.2020.07.069.